Last modified: November 2, 2021
DATA SECURITY PRACTICES
To protect and secure your personal information from accidental loss and unauthorized access, use, alteration, and disclosure, we implement a variety of comprehensive security measures. While the specifics must be kept confidential for security reasons, such measures involve strict physical, electronic, administrative, and procedural safeguards.
NOTICE AT COLLECTION - PERSONAL INFORMATION COLLECTED AND CORRESPONDING BUSINESS PURPOSES
Depending on the applicable business purpose(s), set forth in this section below, we may collect any of the following personal information:
- Contact or other identification information, including or regarding an individual’s: name; alias; signature; physical characteristics or description; postal address; email address; telephone number; social security number; passport number; driver’s license number; state identification card number; USLI account information; medical information, such as injuries sustained in an accident or other loss and health insurance information; property information, such as facts related to real property and vehicle ownership; financial information, such as bank account, credit card, and debit card numbers; employment history; insurance licenses; and insurance policy numbers and other coverages
- Protected classification characteristics under applicable state and federal law, including race, color, genetic information (including family medical history), disability, medical condition, sex, age, religion, national origin, citizenship, native language, and marital and veteran status
- Commercial information, such as credit and claims history as well as motor vehicle reports
- Internet and other similar network activity, such as interactions with and use of our Media Outlets as well as personal information posted on webpages related to a customer, applicant, policyholder, policy, or claim
- Audio, electronic, visual, or similar information, such as recorded statements, photographs and videos of property or locations related to a loss
- Inferences drawn from any of the above personal information collected, including those related to a consumer's preferences, predispositions, behavior, intelligence, abilities, aptitudes, and other characteristics
We may use the personal information we collect as is necessary for one or more of the following business purposes:
- To process your application and quote
- To service your policy and any claims you make or that relate to you
- To provide you with notices about your policy, including expiration and renewal notices
- For various communications with you, as needed
- For any other action necessary to deliver a USLI product or service, or information related thereto
- To assess and improve our products and services
- To carry out our obligations under a policy or other applicable agreement
- To enforce and protect our contractual or other legal rights, including those related to billing and collection
- To comply with applicable laws, regulations, court orders, and subpoenas
- In any other way we may describe prior to or at the time you provide the information
- For any other purpose for which you provide the information and/or consent
DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We do not sell personal information we collect to any third parties whatsoever. Additionally, the personal information we collect is only disclosed to third parties when necessary to carry out a business purpose set forth above and legally permitted. To illustrate, we may disclose personal information to:
- Agents, brokers, other insurers, investigators, adjusters, appraisers, attorneys, claimants, and other individuals or entities involved in or connected with processing your application, issuing your quote, or servicing your policy or any claims you make or that relate to you
- State insurance departments or other governmental or law enforcement authorities if required by law or to protect our legal interests, including in cases of suspected fraud or illegal activities
- To the subsidiaries, affiliates, and related entities of USLI by virtue of their commonality of employees and systems
- Any other individuals or entities as necessary to: perform actions you request or authorize; deliver a USLI product or service, or information related thereto; assess and improve our products and services; carry out our obligations under any policy or other applicable agreement; enforce or protect our contractual or other legal rights, including those related to billing and collection; comply with any law, regulation, or subpoena or other court order; or protect the rights, property, or safety of USLI, our customers, and/or others
SOURCES OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
To the extent necessary for an aforementioned business purpose and permitted by law, we may collect any of the personal information identified above, via online, telephone, mail, or in person, directly from:
- You; for example, when you fill out an application, file a claim, or communicate with our customer service representatives or other personnel
- Agents, brokers, other insurers, adjusters, appraisers, attorneys, claimants and other individuals or entities involved in or connected with processing your application, issuing your quote, or servicing your policy or any claims you make or that relate to you
- Health care providers
- Police and fraud investigations and reports
- Consumer reporting companies
- Our Media Outlets or other webpages related to a customer, applicant, policyholder, policy, loss, or claim
- Antifraud, marketing, analytics, risk-assessment and other similar service providers
- Subsidiaries, affiliates, and related entities of USLI by virtue of their commonality of employees and systems
- Any other individuals or entities that are or need to be involved with: performing actions you request or authorize; delivering a USLI product or service, or information related thereto; assessing and improving our products and services; carrying out our obligations under any policy or other applicable agreement; enforcing or protecting our contractual or other legal rights, including those related to billing and collection; complying with any law, regulation, or subpoena or other court order; or protecting the rights, property, or safety of USLI, our customers, and/or others
In addition to the above, we may automatically collect some personal information from web beacons, cookies, or other automated online data collection tools. Web beacons are small pieces of code that can communicate information about your device or browser to a server. Cookies are small text files automatically sent from a website the user is browsing, and are stored in the user's web browser. Depending on the situation, cookies may be present only for the current session, every time the user loads the website, or for another pre-determined period.
Our websites use web beacons and cookies only to help promote functionality, personalize user experience, and improve our products and services. More specifically, web beacons and cookies are used in the following limited ways:
- To maintain USLI account information, which allows users to efficiently access secure areas of our websites
- To monitor certain user interactions with our Media Outlets
Please note that while rejecting cookies may disrupt certain features and functionality of websites, most browsers allow you to:
- Enable or disable all cookies indefinitely (i.e., always accepted or always blocked)
- Selectively block cookies
- View and selectively delete cookies
- Wipe all private data, including cookies
- Block third party (tracking) cookies
Some browsers also have extensions or add-on tools for managing cookies and cookie permissions. For more information about managing or disabling cookies, check your browser or mobile device settings and visit www.allaboutcookies.org.
In limited situations, we also use other automated data collection tools to obtain certain business-related information from our insured entities’ websites. This business-related data helps us service our policies and claims, carry out our obligations under an applicable policy or other agreement, and enforce and protect our contractual and other legal rights. While such collection does not intentionally target personal information, some personal information may inadvertently be collected in the process. When that occurs, we will provide the same robust protections to the personal information as if it were intentionally collected.
ADDITIONAL PRIVACY RIGHTS INFORMATION FOR CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act ("CCPA"), California residents have the following additional “consumer rights:”
(1) “The right to know,” meaning the right to request that USLI disclose information about or provide a copy of the types of personal information we collect, use, and disclose about the consumer
(2) “The right to delete,” meaning the right to request deletion of personal information about the consumer which USLI maintains
In the event you invoke either or both of the above consumer rights on behalf of yourself or your minor child, as you are entitled by the CCPA, there will be no discrimination against you or adverse impact upon the products or services we offer or provide to you as a result.
These consumer rights may be exercised by either: (1) visiting https://www.usli.com/contact-us, selecting the “Legal and Privacy (including CA Consumer Requests)” option, and completing the form accordingly; or (2) by calling us toll-free at (888) 523-5545. In order to process your request, we must verify the requestor is the consumer identified by the subject personal information. When possible, the verification process will consist of matching the identification information provided in the request with the personal information we have about the consumer on file. If we are not able to verify the consumer’s identity from that initial step alone, we may make an additional attempt to verify by calling the requestor and asking the requestor to provide certain information, such as the consumer’s name, address history, and/or details about the consumer’s interactions with us.
You may also designate an authorized agent to make a consumer rights request on your behalf. However, unless your agent has been provided with power of attorney in accordance with the California Probate Code, you will need to: (1) designate the agent by providing the natural person or entity registered with the California Secretary of State with written permission to submit such a request; (2) provide or have your agent provide proof of such permission; and (3) verify or have your agent verify your identity.
Please note that we may limit our responses to any CCPA consumer rights requests as permitted by law, such as when a request to delete is made but USLI must maintain the personal information to: provide a product or service; carry out our obligations under an applicable policy or other agreement; enforce and protect our contractual or other legal rights; comply with any law, regulation, or subpoena or other court order; or protect the rights, property, or safety of USLI, our customers, and/or others.
- United States Liability Insurance Company
- Mount Vernon Fire Insurance Company
- U.S. Underwriters Insurance Company
- Mount Vernon Specialty Insurance Company
- Radnor Specialty Insurance Company
- Apogee Insurance Group
- Gateway Underwriters Agency, Inc.
- Gateway Specialty Insurance
QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS
If you want to access this notice in a different format because of a disability or if you have any questions or concerns regarding our privacy practices, please write us at:
Attn: Legal and Compliance, Cybersecurity and Data Privacy
1190 Devon Park Drive
Wayne, PA 19087
You may also email us at [email protected].